By Tyler Straight
Translated by Carl Wuebben
The steelhead slammer is a simple fly pattern for high water steelhead.
HOOK – MFC #7045 – MUSTAD c49s – TMC 2488 – DAIICHI 1120 size 10
THREAD – Red 6/0
TAIL – Vernille or micro chenille
BODY – Estaz regular
COLORS – (tail/Estaz) chartreuse/orange, pink/chartreuse, brown/chartreuse.
HOW TO TIE
- Place your scud hook in the vise so the hook eye is pointing down slightly. Attach your thread in behind the eye and clip the tag end off, then make a thread base by wrapping rearward to just a little into the bend of the hook and above the hook barb with close wraps.
- Tie in a piece of Vernille or micro chenille with a one inch tag extending forward using a pinch wrap.
- Secure the chenille tag by making tight spiral wraps forward up to the hook eye but leave about an eyelet space so you don’t crowd the head. Make a couple wraps to secure the chenille then trim off any excess chenille.
- Tie in a length of Estaz in at about where you started your thread. Then bring your thread forward to about one eyelet space from the eye.
- Make 2 -3 wraps forward of Estaz. Make a small thread head, clip the tag end of Estaz, whip finish, and cut the thread. Trim the chenille tail so it is about 2 inch. Long
- This is an optional step. You can take a lighter and melt the end of the chenille to a point. This doesn’t affect the fish catching ability of the fly, just makes it look nicer to the fisherman.
TIE UP A DOZEN OR TWO – AND GO FISHING*** But remember to practice C.P.R. (CATCH – PICTURE – RELEASE)